Professor Joseph Selling
Moral Theology (Emeritus), Catholic University of Louvain, Belgium.
During his long career, Professor Selling has specialised in studying the theology of Marriage and the Family. His doctorate dissertation consisted in an analysis of the responses to the Enclyclical Humanae Vitae. Later he published a detailed report on the 1980 Synod at Rome on the Role of the Family. Many subsequent publications pursued the same theme. We publish a list of them here.
*** (Doctoral Dissertation) The Reaction to Humanae Vitae: A Study in Special and Fundamental Theology. S.T.D., Leuven, 1977: 2 v., lix + 392 + 12 pp. University Microfilms, Ann Arbor, MI, 1979, U.S.A.
*** (With Jan Grootaers) The 1980 Synod of Bishops “On the Role of the Family”: An Exposition of the Event and an Evaluation of the Texts. Leuven: University Press, 1983; Peeters, Bondgenotenlaan 153, Leuven; Bibliotheca Ephemeridum Theologicarum Lovaniensium, 64.
Articles in books
* The 1980 Synod of Bishops, in The New Catholic Encyclopedia, v. 18 (1988) 493-494.
* Evolution and Continuity in Conjugal Morality, in J. Selling (ed.), Personalist Morals: Essays in honor of Prof. Louis Janssens. Bibliotheca Ephemeridum Theologicarum Lovaniensum, 83. (Leuven: University Press, 1988) 243-264.
* The History of Conjugal Morality, in Alfons Vansteenwegen (ed.), Human Sexuality and Family Health Sciences, Leuven Monographs on Sexology (Leuven: Peeters, 1990) 58-76.
* The Authority of Church Teaching in Matters of Morality, in F. Vosman & K. Merks (eds), Aiming at Happiness: The Moral Teaching of the Catechism (Kampen: Kok/Pharos, 1996) 194-221.
* Authority and Moral Teaching in a Catholic Christian Context, in Bernard Hoose (ed.), Christian Ethics: An Introduction (London: Geoffrey Chapman, 1998) 57-71.
* The Human Person, in Bernard Hoose (ed.), Christian Ethics: An Introduction (London: Geoffrey Chapman, 1998) 95-109.
* The Development of Catholic Tradition and Sexual Morality, in J. Selling (ed.), Embracing Sexuality: Authority and Experience in the Catholic Church (Aldershot, UK: Ashgate, 2001) 149-162.
* Marriage and Sexuality in the Catholic Church (with Mary Grey), in J. Selling (ed;), Embracing Sexuality: Authority and Experience in the Catholic Church (Aldershot, UK: Ashgate, 2001) 179-196.
* Gaudium et Spes: A Manifesto for Contemporary Moral Theology, in M. Lamberigts & L. Kenis (eds.) Vatican II and Its Legacy (Leuven: Peters/Univ.Pr., 2002; BETL 166 ) 145-162.
* Marriage as a Sacrament: The Evolution of an Idea, in R. Burggraeve, K. Demasure, M. Foket P. Weber (eds.), Marriage – Divorce – Remarriage: Challenges and Perspectives for Christians (Leuven: Peeters, 2007) 157-172.
* Contraception and Sin, in B. Hoose, J. Clague and G. Mannion (eds.), Moral Theology for the Twenty-First Century: Essays in Celebration of Kevin Kelly (London: T & T Clark, 2008) 113-119.
Articles in periodicals
Moral Teaching, Traditional Teaching and “Humanae Vitae”.
Louvain Studies 7 (1978-79) 24-44; Sylloge excerptorum e dissertationibus ad gradum doctoris in sacra theologia vel in jure canonico consequendum conscriptis, 50/7.
* Re-reading “Gaudium et Spes” on Marriage and the Family.
Louvain Studies 8 (1980-81) 82-94.
* The Childless Marriage: A Moral Consideration.
Bijdragen: Tijdschrift voor filosofie en theologie 42 (1981) 158-173.
* A Closer Look at the Text of “Gaudium et Spes” on Marriage and the Family.
Bijdragen: Tijdschrift voor filosofie en theologie 43 (1982) 30-48.
* Twenty Significant Points in the Theology of Marriage and the Family Present in the Teaching of “Gaudium et Spes”.
Bijdragen: Tijdschrift voor filosofie en theologie 43 (1982) 412-441.
* How the Synod Works.
The Tablet 237 (3 sept. 1983) 842, 845-846.
*Crisis of Identity: The Synod at Work (2).
The Tablet 237 (17 sept. 1983) 890-893.
* Magisterial Teaching on Marriage 1880-1968: Historical Constancy or Radical Development? Studia Moralia 28 (1990) 439-490.
* The Celebration of Marriage, The Furrow 43 (1992) 587-596.
* On Sex and Sexuality: The Challenge of André Guindon.
Doctrine and Life 43 (1993) 31-41.
* Magisterial Authority and the Natural Law, Doctrine and Life 47 (1997) 334-342.
* The “Meanings” of Human Sexuality, Louvain Studies 23 (1998) 22-37.
* Homosexuality and Chastity: An Alternative Moral Criterion
New Theology Review 11 (1998) 63-75.
* Homosexuality and the Catechism
New Theology Review 15 (2002) 66-70.
* The Development of Moral Theology since the Second Vatican Council
Milltown Studies 54 (2004)104-121.
* The Renewal of Moral Theology; Doctrine and Life 55 (2005) 2-10.
* Twenty Five Years after Familiaris Consortio, Intams 12 (2006)157-166.
* Sin isn’t simple, The Tablet (7 July 2012) 10-11